With over 15,000 sold, Blue Bird’s 4th Generation Vision Propane bus is engineered to deliver fuel and maintenance cost-saving results, as well as offer drivers a pleasant riding and operation experience. As many satisfied customers can affirm, propane is a safe, clean and affordable alternative fuel, that features many operational and cost-saving benefits.
The Vision Propane bus features:
- Exceptional driver-forward visibility
- Unique mirror systems - improving driver awareness and increasing child safety
Propane autogas is safe for children and the environment.
- Propane is non-toxic and non-poisonous. It poses no harm to groundwater, surface water, or soil. It does not spill, pool or leave any residue when released, but dissipates into the air.
In its natural state, propane autogas is virtually odorless and colorless.
- In its natural form, propane has no scent, but a scent has been added (ethyl mercaptan) and is necessary to alert you that there is gas in the air. You will not smell propane as you drive down the road in this bus, unless there is a leak. This is for your safety.
Propane autogas does not ignite easily.
- Because it is released from a pressured container as a vapor, propane autogas can’t be ingested like gasoline or alcohol fuels. To put it simply, igniting propane gas in the air calls for very specific things to occur. The mixture of propane/air must contain 2.2 percent to 9.6 percent propane vapor. Any more, or any less than that, and the propane will not ignite. Plus, the source of ignition must reach 940 degrees Fahrenheit. In contrast, gasoline will ignite at only 430 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
The fuel tanks used to house propane autogas are incredibly durable and thick.
- Propane autogas fuel tanks are 20 times more puncture-resistant than typical diesel or gasoline tanks. They are made from carbon steel, include vapor-tight enclosures around all lines and fittings, and are manufactured with an Overfilling Prevention Device (OPD) that ensures the fuel volume will be able to adjust with temperature variations. There is also a pressure release device in every tank should the pressure rise beyond safe levels.
The propane autogas engine fuel system is built with safety in mind.
- Our buses’ engine systems are fitted with safety devices and shut-off valves that function automatically if the fuel line ruptures, and all lines and hoses are protected to prevent damage from loose cargo which could be encountered in the vehicle interior.
The propane autogas tank mounting system is strong and secure.
- Even in 20g frontal impact, or 8g side or rear impact (which is twice the requirement specified in NFPA58), the propane tank will remain securely in place. It is also mounted between Blue Bird’s durable frame rails, which creates additional safety.
Fueling is safe and easy.
- Propane is 270 times more compact as a liquid than as a gas, making it safe and economical to store and transport. Wearing gloves and goggles is recommended when refueling (which is also recommended for CNG, diesel and gasoline fueling).
5-years / unlimited miles
Blue Bird Vision school buses equipped with the ROUSH CleanTech propane autogas fuel system offer a 5-year / unlimited mile limited powertrain warranty, giving you piece of mind.